Plotting question

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Plotting question
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 22:06:24 -0600

On 13-Feb-2001, Douglas Eck <address@hidden> wrote:

| With every 100 loops or so in my neural network, I plot the
| state of the system. I noticed if I use subplots, things get
| really slow after a few hundred plots.
|
| Here's a sample of what I mean. With this code snippet, the
| gnuplot x program can't seem to keep up:
|
| for i=1:1000
|   subplot(1,2,1)
|   plot(rand(1,10),'r')
|   replot
|
|   subplot(1,2,2)
|   plot(rand(1,10),'b')
|   replot
| end
|
| But without subplots, things seem to work just fine.
| for i=1:1000
|   plot(rand(1,10),'b')
|   hold on
|   plot(rand(1,10),'r')
|   hold off
|   replot
| end
|
| Anything obvious I'm missing?
|
| PS I'm running Dirk's Debain 2.1.32 build on Debian Sid.

I don't know why gnuplot behaves this way.  I don't think it is a
bug in Octave.  After doing some simple debugging by putting a print
statement in your loop and looking at what Octave is sending to
gnuplot (by setting gnuplot_binary to "cat") I don't see anything
unusual in what Octave is doing, and Octave gets way ahead of gnuplot.

If anyone can show how the problem is with Octave, then please let me
know.  Otherwise, can someone please try to find a test case that
demonstrates the bug in gnuplot and then report the problem to the
gnuplot maintainers?

Thanks,

jwe