Re: 64 bit octave

From: Mumit Khan
Subject: Re: 64 bit octave
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 20:47:45 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, John W. Eaton wrote:

> | AFAIK octave can be built only with gcc.
>
> No.  I've been successful building it with the Sun compilers, and more
> recently, Mumit Khan has done some additional work so that Octave
> should configure and compile out of the CVS archive with the Sun
> Workshop compilers (I believe he said that he used Sun Workshop 5.0 on
> Sun Solaris 2.8).

Sun Workshop 5.0 works very well, but only after you install all the
available patches. For those who use this compiler, Sun has a useful
web page,  http://access1.sun.com/forte/, that lets you browse and
download the patches for all its development tools. Should be the
first stop after installing any of Sun's dev products.

> | How large is the effort to make octave ANSI-C++ compliant
> | and compilable with proprietary CC compiler?
>
> Smaller now than it used to be.

I doubt if there's a large'ish C++ package in existence that will build
under a stricly comforming C++ compiler (which for example will not
support the backward compatibility thingies that we are so used to).
Octave as of recently is quite close, and it's down to using just one
extension -- use of a non-standard std::filebuf constructor in
src/c-file-buf-ptr.h -- that is supported by libstdc++-v3 (upcoming
GNU C++ standard library), and Sun Workshop and a variety of other
good C++ implementations.

I'll submit the patches for Sun Forte series (v6 update 1) sometime
soon.

If you have lots of C++ code, and want a really good scare, get the
latest pre-release (or perhaps it's released by now) IBM VisualAge
C++ and do a build. Lots of fun to watch the compiler go bananas and
start screaming when it's somebody else's code.

Regards,
Mumit