RE: 64 bit octave

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: RE: 64 bit octave
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 12:47:45 -0600

On  9-Feb-2001, Thoai Nguyen <address@hidden> wrote:

| 64 bits OS means you can handle a file bigger than 2.1
| Gb ... that's is the limit of 32 bits file system.

Hmm.  I think you are confusing operating systems and file systems.
What if a "64-bit OS" had a "32-bit filesystem" or a what if a "32-bit
OS" had a "64-bit filesystem"?

| If
| Octave can read a file > 2.1 Gb then it's better than
| Matlab.

In all ways, or just this one? :-)  I suppose it depends on whether
the open system call succeeds, and that really depends on the
underlying OS and filesystem more than Octave internals, I think.
Now, whether you could actually do anything useful with a file that
large in an interpreted environment like Octave or Matlab depends a
lot on exactly what it is you are trying to do.  Using for loops to
look at all the bytes individually is probably going to be kind of
slow...

| BTW, is there
| a unix command in Sun that I can split the file in
| half ???

Uh, maybe split(1)?

jwe