RE: 64 bit octave

From: Thoai Nguyen
Subject: RE: 64 bit octave
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 10:34:29 -0800 (PST)

64 bits OS means you can handle a file bigger than 2.1
Gb ... that's is the limit of 32 bits file system. If
Octave can read a file > 2.1 Gb then it's better than
Matlab. Since I just install Matlab on sun solaris 8
(64 bits file system) ... Matlab can run but it can
not read the 2.5 Gb file that I have ... BTW, is there
a unix command in Sun that I can split the file in
half ???

| does anybody have a 64 bit octave version?

I'm not sure what you mean by that.  Octave has worked
on DEC Alphas
for a long time now.  Does that count?

| If yes how can I build it using gcc?

I build it on DEC Alphas using gcc, and have for about
6 years now.

| AFAIK octave can be built only with gcc.

No.  I've been successful building it with the Sun
compilers, and more
recently, Mumit Khan has done some additional work so
that Octave
should configure and compile out of the CVS archive
with the Sun
Workshop compilers (I believe he said that he used Sun
Workshop 5.0 on
Sun Solaris 2.8).

| How large is the effort to make octave ANSI-C++
compliant
| and compilable with proprietary CC compiler?

Smaller now than it used to be.

jwe

=====
MLT