Clarity on GPL and Octave licensing

From: Joshua Rigler
Subject: Clarity on GPL and Octave licensing
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 10:04:39 -0700

OK, maybe I'm just dense, but all the recent discussion/debate regarding
licensing issues with Octave is only serving to confuse me.

I am assuming that I can write both .m and .oct files which make calls
to any of Octave's builtin and included functions (.m or .oct), and am
not necessarily obligated to make that software GPL.  I know this is the
case with GCC et al., but does this apply to Octave?

My problem is likely to stem from the fact that I do government
sponsored research, and can't always provide my routines to the public,
as much as I would like to!

-EJR