Re: Compiling liboctave on Win NT?

From: Mumit Khan
Subject: Re: Compiling liboctave on Win NT?
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 22:57:08 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, John W. Eaton wrote:

> On 27-Jan-2001, Markus Faust <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> | I would like to compile liboctave on a Windows NT machine and have
> | difficulties with the make file. Can somebody indicate me the
> | changes I have to make in the makefile or send me an example
> | makefile? I want to use the library with DevC++4 and compile it with
> | cygwin, which I hope will work.
>
> I don't know what DevC++4 is, but I believe that Octave should
> configure and build with the cygwin tools.

Been away, so missed the original post. Dev-C++ is an IDE based on the
Mingw compiler, which uses Microsoft's runtime library, which means that
it's missing all the POSIX bits that Octave heavily depends on.

Getting Octave to build with Mingw, hence Dev-C++, will be very hard,
without a reasonabe POSIX emulation library. Oh yeah, there's Cygwin
just for that.

Octave builds out of the box with Cygwin tools. See Cygwin home page
at http://www.cygwin.com/

Regards,
Mumit