missing licenses

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: missing licenses
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 09:00:24 -0600

On 27-Jan-2001, Paul Kienzle <address@hidden> wrote:

| octave-matcompat is being rejected from Debian because of missing licenses
| on a few functions.  I would like to contact the following people and ask
| them if they would please send me permission to modify and redistribute
| their code under the GPL.  Public domain is also acceptable, or even
| a BSD-style license if they never want their code distributed with
| octave itself.

Never is a bit strong, since copyright holders are free to
redistribute under multiple terms.  So if an author chooses a license
for octave-matcompat that is incompatible with the GPL, they are
always free to choose a compatible license later.  Also, there are a
number of different BSD-style licenses floating around, and some may
be compatible with the GPL while others are not (due to the
advertising clause, for example).

jwe