Re: Solaris Compile: Getting Closers

From: Andrew Bainbridge-Smith
Subject: Re: Solaris Compile: Getting Closers
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 08:57:12 +1100

Doug,

Gerard and I managed to get octave 2.1.33 compiled on solaris here last week.
We have noticed 2 particular problems.

1) On solaris 5 we had problems with the configure finding symbols
gethostname() and rgetusage() but which didn't seem to be available at link
time.  This was fixed by hand editing config.h   I don't know why this error
occurs but I strongly think we have some system configuration problem.  It
does not occur for solaris 7

2) On solaris 5 and 7  Gerard reported his problem at final link time of the
octave executable.  For the same op-systems (in fact the same machines) I did
not have any problems at all (other than the one reported above).  Hence the
problem must have been one of system setup.  Gerard changed his default
startup scripts (which meant removing lot of programs --- particularly SUN
compilers --- from his PATH settings) to match mine and compiled with no
problems.  I cannot tell you exactly what system components appear to interact
to cause this problem, all I can say is that I think you should be looking at
pairing back your startup scripts to see if that helps.

We don't run solaris 6 here, but I think our experience reported above should
help.

Best wishes and good luck,
        Andrew
--
Dr Andrew Bainbridge-Smith
Senior Research Engineer

Phone     +61 3 9662 7733
Fax       +61 3 9662 7851
Email     address@hidden
Mail      Locked Bag No. 9, Preston Vic. 3072, Australia
Location  Cnr Albert & Raglan Streets, Preston Vic 3072, Australia