texinfo/Cygwin [RE: Cywgin-targeted octave binary distributions]

From: Mumit Khan
Subject: texinfo/Cygwin [RE: Cywgin-targeted octave binary distributions]
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 15:15:17 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 20 Nov 2000, Dr. Ing. Dieter Jurzitza wrote:

> I waited for a feed-back from your side with regard to the texinfo - problem.
> only got a feedback from John Eaton - as I readily suggested - it is better to
> keep this M$-specific problem off the list.
> However, if you donĀ“t mind - and this is what I expect because you didn't
> comment my last statement - I will forward my findings to the cygwin list.

It's been a long long time since I've looked into Octave/Cygwin issues,
but I do remember the texinfo one -- it's the usual case of being bitten
by different line endings on different platforms. Texinfo tries to be
smart by reading in the whole file, and that breaks when Cygwin
automagically changes the line endings for text files depending on the
mouting mode, and thus changing the total size of the resulting file.
The easiest solution is to define WIN32 at compile time or just fix the
texinfo code not to make these assumptions! These kinds of optimizations
were quite justified when cpu/disks were slow, but not so much these
days. When you define WIN32, the code just exactly what it's supposed
to -- read the file without making assumptions about line endings. See
find_and_load(makeinfo/files.c) for more info.

Regards,
Mumit