Re: matrix close to singular

From: A S Hodel
Subject: Re: matrix close to singular
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 10:07:43 -0600

You're likely already aware of this, but just in case here it is anyway:

Ward's generalized eigenvalue problem scaling procedure (reference below) is
implemented in both MATLAB and Octave (the balance command).  That may help
some.  I think that both qz and MATLAB are using the same LAPACK code
underneath, so the results should be similar between the two.  Neither
octave's qz nor MATLAB's eig automatically perform GEP scaling.

@article{war81,
   author    = {Robert C. Ward},
   title     = {Balancing the Generalized Eigenvalue Problem},
   journal   = {Siam J. Sci. Stat. Comput.},
   pages     = {141--152},
   year      = {1981},
   month     = {June},
   volume    = {2},
   number    = {2}
}

--
A S Hodel Assoc. Prof. Dept Elec. Comp. Eng.  Auburn Univ, AL 36849-5201
(334) 844-1854 Fax -1809 http://www.eng.auburn.edu/Šþscotte