Re: Cywgin-targeted octave binary distributions

From: Tom Weichmann
Subject: Re: Cywgin-targeted octave binary distributions
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 21:32:33 -0500

> On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Dr. Ing. Dieter Jurzitza wrote:
>
> > test on a second platform to be sure not to yell without
> > verification!) maybe Tom Weichman could upgrade his cygwin box and
> > kindly recompile his distribution. I´ll be back with my result to
> > the list ASAP. Unfortunately I do not know how to create an
> > installable tarball from the compile; so I cannot support what Tom
> > Weichman supported. Nevertheless I think that we should give a hint
> > to the cygwin maintainers (anyone in the mailing list of them?) with
> > regard to this problem!
>
> Hi Dieter,
>
> Once you have finished an octave compilation ("make") you can generate
> an octave binary distribution by:
>
>     make -f octMakefile binary-dist
>
> You may run into some minor bugs during this process. For example,
> make complains about an invalid option "-c" -- this is a typographical
> error for which "make -c" should be changed to "make -C."  Otherwise,
> the process should go smoothly for you.
>
> Alternately, I have binary distribution tarballs for octave-2.0.16 and
> octave-2.1.31 ready to install and run on Cygwin 1.1.x platforms.
> These have good octave.info files generated by texinfo 4.0. I can
> probably also put together a separate (patched) install package for
> texinfo 4.0 under Cygwin 1.1.x, if you confirm that my patch solves
> your info-related problems.
>
> Carlos
>
> PS: Be warned that the "easy Windows installer" at
> http://matlinks.sourceforge.net is not suitable for people who have
> Cygwin already installed.  The installer thrashes the existing cygwin
> mount table.

I would be glad to help out.  I tried to install Texinfo-4.0, but it
bombs out with errors during the make of the docs.  I saw a post a
while ago about how to fix the problem and get it make correctly on
Cygwin, but I lost the post - any one know how?  BTW, the way
that I make my tar ball is to build octave in /usr/local/src then
before I 'make install' I rename the /usr dir to /usr-2 and create a
new empty /usr directory then make install.  This puts everything
from octave into the /usr directory with nothing else.  Then 'tar cz
/usr' makes the tar ball.  Just delete the /usr dir and renameing the
origional bask to /usr finishes it off.  It's really easier to do then to
write out!!

Thanks,

Tom Weichmann