From: Etienne Grossmann
Subject: Loading ppm Image and MathLab compatibility
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 15:25:21 +0000

  Hi

From: Emmanuel Lanzmann <address@hidden>

#  I am faced to two problem (which are very classical):
#  1) I have a file that was written with math Lab, so a "***.mat"
#     file.
#     I tried to open it using load -mat-binary, but it fails telling
#     me :

#     error: load: can't read binary file
#     error: load: trouble reading binary file `xyzsimple.mat'
#     error: evaluating index expression near line 21, column 1

#     Is there a way to read this file ?

  Sorry, I don't know.

#  2) I need to import some image saved in ppm. I tried the command:
#     [M,ppm]=loadimage("....") but it fails.

#     How should I proceed to download ppm images ?

    You can use Ariel Tankus's (http://www.math.tau.ac.il/Šþarielt/)
imread() and other functions. I've done some wrapper's around Ariel's
functions so that images be represented as a single struct, if you are
interested, they are at http://anonimo.isr.ist.utl.pt/Šþetienne/octave.
Some day, they should be on octave's repository at Sourceforge
(http://octave.sourceforge.net/).

  Hth,

  Etienne