RE: Windows 2000 (more trouble)

From: Julian A. de Marchi, Ph.D
Subject: RE: Windows 2000 (more trouble)
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 23:32:02 -0500

Indeed the pif is to TRY to set up sufficent environment space for the
subsequent batch file which calls bash (quite possibly unnecessarily)
in order to launch gzip and unzip all the fileset.  There are DOS versions
of gzip and I've put together an alternative installation using this, but
the stumbling block has been getting the installation paths piped into the
octaverc & start scripts.  I have to admit, Windows is a real pain to install
into using only batch files.  The NullSoft installer is great for some
basics,
but we really need something more robust.  I've looked into the CygWin
installer (GNU GPL) but it's an imbroglio and I can't make head nor tail of
it;
there are no instructions for putting it together; it's set up for CygWin and
not really designed for general use as far as I can tell.  I'm on the fence
about purchasing a pro installer like VISE.  Any help would really be
appreciated.  In the meantime, perhaps installing under safe mode will help.

The GNUPlot broken pipe problem is quickly fixed by hand-editing the file
binŠÜstart and placing the correct path to wgnuplot.exe.  Sorry about ver. D.
It seems to be a toss-up... several folks have no trouble installing it,
while others on the same platform have.  I can't discover enough
discriminating
information to be able to determine how this can be so.

with apologies,
Julian