compilation from CVS on FreeBSD 3.3 w/ gcc 2.95 *almost* works

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: compilation from CVS on FreeBSD 3.3 w/ gcc 2.95 *almost* works
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 10:12:49 -0400

After minor tweaking, I was able to build octave (static libs) from
CVS (Šþ 2000-09-15 2330 UT) on FreeBSD 3.3 with
  gdt gdt 819 Šþ/SOFTWARE/OCTAVE > gcc -v
  Reading specs from
  /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i386-portbld-freebsd3.3/2.95.2/specs
  gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release)

It seems that the gperf which comes with FreeBSD 3.3 does not
recognize the -E and -L flags.  I had to modify src/Makefile as
follows:

oct-gperf.h: octave.gperf
             @echo "making $@ from $<"
             #removed -E -L ANSI-C
             @$(GPERF) -a -g -p -t -C -D -G  ŠÜ
               -H octave_kw_hash -N octave_kw_lookup ŠÜ
                 $< | sed 's,lookupŠÜ[,gperf_lookup[,' > address@hidden
                 @$(top_srcdir)/move-if-change address@hidden $@

I'm guessing that a configure test is in order, even if it only checks
and aborts and tells the user to install 2.7.  Would a patch for this
be appropriate?

[If this sort of comment is more properly directed to
octave-maintainers, please let me know.  Also, a pointer to the right
list at http://www.che.wisc.edu/octave/download.html might be
helpful.]

        Greg Troxel <address@hidden>