Re: help

From: Etienne Grossmann
Subject: Re: help
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 22:25:20 GMT

  Hello,

  the plotting in octave is based on the gnuplot. Command names
often have a "g" appended. See the gnuplot man page or gnuplot's
online help. Example :

octave:733> gset title "My pretty plot"
octave:734> x = 0:0.1:10; plot (x, sin (x), "+");

  plots a figure. To save it as a postscript, you can do :

octave:736> gset term postscript
octave:738> gset out "m_p_p.ps"
octave:739> replot

  To add text, one way is to use gnuplot commands (which I'm not
very familiar with) and another is to save the figure as a xfig
file and manipulate it using xfig :

octave:740> gset term fig
octave:741> gset out "m_p_p.fig"
octave:742> replot

  Then, from shell, you may do :

  xfig m_p_p.fig

  (if xfig is installed).

  Hth,

  Etienne

ps : "gset" does not like variable names, so you often want to use
     eval and sprintf, as in :

octave:747> eval (sprintf ("gset out ŠÜ"%sŠÜ"",my_file_name))