--interactive without prompt?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: --interactive without prompt?
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 23:36:15 -0500 (CDT)

On  6-Sep-2000, Albert Graef <address@hidden> wrote:

| I'm currently writing an interface to Octave in which another
| programming language interpreter is driving the Octave interpreter via a
| pipe. Since running non-interactively makes octave exit after the first
| error in an evaluation, I invoke octave with --interactive, but now I
| have to get rid of the prompt. The question is, how can I accomplish
| this in a simple manner?

I'm not sure how well this would work with just one-way communication.

If you want to do it by setting up two-way communication, it would
probably be best to use ptys so that the Octave subprocess will think
it is actually talking to a terminal.

You might want to take a look at the way the octave-inf mode for Emacs
works.  Unfortunately, it might not be very simple duplicate all the
details of that since I think there is a lot of machinery provided by
the comint package.  However, I think the basic idea for handling the
prompt is to use a regexp to match the prompt.

jwe