Re: installing octave on pc

From: Johan Kullstam
Subject: Re: installing octave on pc
Date: 14 Aug 2000 08:41:51 -0400

address@hidden (Bas Kooijman) writes:

> Dear LS,
>
> I tried to install octave under emacs on a pc
> The emacs support for preparing *.m files works well,
>  but the system cannot find octave after M-x run-octave
> A path to C:/bin/sh.exe causes an emacs-freeze
> I tried
>   emacs 20.4.1, i386-*-windows95.1212
>   ocatave-2.0.13-i386-pc-cygwin32
>   Cygnus B19
> Octave does run in a ms-dos window95 under bash
>   but I want to run it under emacs

windows95 isn't very good at multi-tasking.  emacs might not be able
to run octave as an asynchronous sub-process in such an environment.

> We have no problems with running Octave under Unix on our Sun-system

that's because unix is a real multi-tasking operating system.  if you
need a microsoft OS, NT is fine too.

> Another question:

> Do I understand correctly that Octave does not support
> multi-dimensional arrays?I am used to work with APL, so that this
> hurts a lot.

octave only has 2-arrays.  there are structures and you can hack up
poor man's versions using reshape or eval.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
address@hidden