Re: load problems

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: load problems
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 15:29:38 -0500 (CDT)

On  3-Aug-2000, Joao Cardoso <address@hidden> wrote:

| "John W. Eaton" wrote:
| >
| > On  2-Aug-2000, Ben Sapp <address@hidden> wrote:

| > Of course, Octave should probably also allow
| >
| >   x = load ("some-odd-file-name.dat")
| >
| > so all of this would be unnecessary.  Anyone care to implement it and
| > submit a patch?
| >
| > jwe
|
| Sure.
|
| But making
|
|    x = load ("some-odd-file-name.dat")
|
| can be confusing; one could think that it is a general sintax. Instead,
| why not use the standard sintax,

  load ("file", "option-1", "option-2");

is entirely equivalent to

  load file option-1 option-2

and works for all functions that can be invoked this way (i.e., ls,
type, who, and so on).

|  - Command: load options file v1 v2 ...
|      Load the named variables from the file FILE.
|
| using v1 as the name of the variable to load to?

Because I would think that it means load only the variables named v1,
v2, etc. from the file?

| To compile I had to use the '-fpermissive' option to gcc. Even so:
|
| load-save.cc: In function `class octave_value_list do_load(istream &,
| const   string &, bool, load_save_format, oct_mach_info::float_format,
| bool, bool, bool,  bool, const string_vector &, int, int, int)':
| load-save.cc:3067: warning: assignment to `char *' from `const char *'
| discards qualifiers

Probably you should pay attention to such warnings.  I haven't checked
your code, but discarding const is probably not what you really want
to do.

jwe