Re: gnuplot plot string

From: Thomas Walter
Subject: Re: gnuplot plot string
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 16:39:38 +0200

    Douglas> Hi
    Douglas> GNU Octave, version 2.0.16, Win2K, Cygnus v1.0
    Douglas> G N U P L O T    MS-Windows 32 bit version 3.7
    Douglas> pgnuplot.c -pipe stdin to wgnuplot Version 0.3

    Douglas> configure, make and make install works fine

    Douglas> However there is problem with the plot command string issued by
Octave

    gnuplot> set data style lines
    gnuplot> pl "C:ŠÜCygwinŠÜ/tmp/oct-6106b22d.0" t "line 1"
    Douglas>             ^
    Douglas>          can't read data file "C:Cygwin/tmp/oct-6106b22d.0"
    Douglas>          (No such file or directory)

    Douglas> But for example the following works fine...

    gnuplot> pl "C:ŠÜŠÜCygwinŠÜ/tmp/oct-6106b22d.0" t "line 1"
    Douglas> or
    gnuplot> pl "C:/ŠÜCygwinŠÜ/tmp/oct-6106b22d.0" t "line 1"

    Douglas> Any idea how I can change the issued string or its interpretation ?
    Douglas> (I have looked though Octave code but couldn't find the c:ŠÜ
issueing
    Douglas> part, similarly no luck with gnuplot)

    Douglas> Thanks for any help.

    Douglas> --
    Douglas> Douglas Steele

Hello,
I removed my Windows long ago, but I programmed a lot using emacs,
bash, ...
You have to use '/' in _all_ paths if you use UN*X based programs.  If
you really want to use a backslash in paths then you _must_ double it
like 'ŠÜŠÜ' because a single backslash is an escape character to
read/write the next character as is.
==>  ŠÜC  expands to C
     ŠÜŠÜ  expands to ŠÜ
==> Use:
    pl "C:/Cygwin/tmp/oct-1234"
Read the doc of 'bash' and you get more hints.  And the doc of
gnuplot, it uses '/' as path-delimiter too.

Bye
Thomas

--
Was gibt sieben mal sieben?  Ganz feinen Sand. 8-)

Dipl. Phys. Thomas Walter
Inst. f. Physiklische Chemie II
Egerlandstr. 3                          Tel.: ++9131-85 27326 / 27330
91058 Erlangen, Germany                 email: address@hidden