octave-2.0.16: Failed to Compile

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: octave-2.0.16: Failed to Compile
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 22:33:04 -0600 (CST)

On  8-Feb-2000, Youngert <address@hidden> wrote:

| I just downloaded a copy of octave-2.0.16 and tried to compile it on my
| AMD K6-2 400Mhz with SuSE-6.3 Linux distro to no avail.  The following
| is the configuration output from octave-2.0.16:
|
| +++++
|  Octave is now configured for i386-ABiX-linux-gnu
|
|   Source directory:     .
|   Installation prefix:  /usr
|   C compiler:           gcc  -mieee-fp -O2 -m486 -fno-strength-reduce
|   C++ compiler:         c++  -mieee-fp -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions
| -fno-implicit-t  Fortran compiler:     g77 -O
|   Fortran libraries:     -lg2c -lm
| -L/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/egcs-2.91.66 -L  Use GNU readline:
| true
|   Default pager:        less
|   gnuplot:              gnuplot
|
|   Do internal array bounds checking:       true
|   Build shared libraries:                  true
|   Minimal kernel option:                   true
|   Dynamic Linking (dlopen/dlsym):          true
|   Dynamic Linking (shl_load/shl_findsym):  false
| +++++
|
| The compilation failed when trying to compile src/getrusage.cc with the
| followign error:
|
| +++++
|   c++ -c  -fPIC -I. -I.. -I../liboctave -I../src -I../libcruft/misc
| -I../glob -I.
|     es -g -O2 -Wall getrusage.cc -o pic/getrusage.o
|     getrusage.cc: In function `class octave_value_list Fgetrusage(const
| class octave_value_list &, int)':
|     getrusage.cc:80: aggregate `struct rusage ru' has incomplete type
| and cannot be initialized

The `struct rusage' type should be declared by <sys/resource.h>
(actually in <resourcebits.h> on my system, but that file is included
in <sys/resource.h>.  Does your system have <sys/resource.h>?  Did
configure find it?

BTW, why are you using `-m486' and `-fno-strength-reduce' in CFLAGS?
Are you also using them in CXXFLAGS (the output above seems a bit
mangled).  Using -fno-strength-reduce for Octave's C++ code can lower
its performance considerably.

Please report bugs in Octave to the bug-octave mailing list.  If you
are unsure of what to include in a bug report so that it will be
useful in helping someone to fix the bug, please read the `How to
Report Bugs' section in the Octave manual.

Thanks,

jwe