Octave and STL

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Octave and STL
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 01:48:01 -0600 (CST)

On  9-Dec-1999, chenu-tournier marc <address@hidden> wrote:

| 1.
| I plan to use octave and ansi C++.
| Is it possible or are there some common definitions?
| Are there some plans on using the STL and octave?

Octave is written in mostly standard C++, so, if I understand your
question, I don't think there will be a problem with conflicting
function or keyword names.

| 2.
| I also wonder if some one could give me the killing compilation options to
| be fast (faster than m*tl*b?)

I suppose it depends on the compiler.  If you are using gcc, use -O2
and *don't* use -fno-strength-reduce.  If you are not using gcc, then
please submit the changes you had to make to compile Octave with the
other compiler.  :-)

| 3.
| Has some one tested Octave on an alpha 264? I have a big need in computer
| resource, no time to rewrtie all my programs but I can spend some money.

Running what?  I'd expect it to work fine if you are using Linux or
DU^H^HTru64 Unix, but you'll have more work to do if you're planning
to use VMS.

| 4.
| Are there some automatic octave .m file to octave .cc C++ file?

I don't know of any free software for this task.

jwe