How do I read an image into octave?

From: Alasdair McAndrew
Subject: How do I read an image into octave?
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 16:26:41 +1100 (EST)

Hi there,

I've just successfully compiled octave under linux; I'd like to use it
to test some image processing algorithms.  But according to the info
pages, images must be in octave's "img" format.  This is all very
well, but how do I get a pgm/tif/gif/png image into that format?  Are
there any file handling routines which will take, say, a 256 grey level
pgm image and produce a matrix in octave?

In other word, is there an octave equivalent to MATLAB's "imread"
command?

Thanks for this.

cheers,

--
Alasdair McAndrew

School of Communications and Informatics     Phone: +61 3 9688 4344
Victoria University of Technology            Fax:   +61 3 9688 4050
P.O. 14428, Melbourne City Mail Centre  address@hidden
Melbourne, Vic 8001, Australia         http://cams.vut.edu.au/~amca