Re: Question regards MATLAB code running on Octave

From: Joao Cardoso
Subject: Re: Question regards MATLAB code running on Octave
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 03:56:15 +0100

Kanuengnij Kubola wrote:

> Hi ,
>    I just start using Octave. I got a problem to run the MATLAB Code on
> Octave. Can anyone point me out about this or where I can look at about this
> problem? Thanks a lot.
>
> #1.  about switch (), Here's the example of the problem
>      a = 'test'
>      switch (a)
>        case 'notatest'
>                 disp("This is not a test")
>         case 'test'
>                 disp("Successful test!!")
>      end
>
> This code, it works OK on MATLAB, but it gives some error on Octave that is
> error: operator ==: nonconformant arguments (op1 is 1x4, op2 is 1x8)

Obviously an (user) bug. The strings under comparison must have the same
length. I guess that each `case' just compare its arguments, and if they
are vectors they must have the same length. `switch' is nothing more
than `if-then-else'.

As a fix, you should try using `postpad' to make your argument the same
length as each comparison case.

But octave could be corrected, I guess.

Joao

> Does anyone familiar with this problem? Could you please help me out?
>
> nid

Joao Cardoso, INESC  |  e-mail:
R. Jose Falcao 110   |  tel:    + 351 2 2094345
4050 Porto, Portugal |  fax:    + 351 2 2008487