Re: Generating global variables locally

From: Daniel Heiserer
Subject: Re: Generating global variables locally
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1999 15:55:12 +0200

address@hidden wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I am not sure whether I am going to ask a stupid question. Is it possible
> to generate, from within a function, a large number of global variables
> and assigning values to them? And, it should also be possible to destroy
> those global names as and when required by calling a similar function.
>
> For example:
>
> ---------------------------
> function generate_global_vars(a_vector)
> # a_vector is a vector whose size is unknown.
>
> for val = ext
>
> # Here I want to generate global variables
> # and assign values to them. The names and number of these global variables
> # will be different based on the size and the value of the vector. For
> # example, for a_vector = [10:5:30], I would like to create new global
> # variables y10, y15, y20, etc.
>
> endfor
>
> endfunction

Hmmm. Good question.
>> global a=rand(4)
works but doesnt do what I suspect.

Try:
>> global blubber=rand(3);
=====================
function test(c)

b=rand(c);
global b;

whos
>> test(5)

The whos in test.m should show blubber as I expect, but it doesn't.
Also I would expect to have a "b" in my workspace after executing
test(5),
but I haven't.

Any comments????

daniel