install 2.0.14 Linux iMac

From: Ken Jarman
Subject: install 2.0.14 Linux iMac
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 09:13:30 -0400

I'm trying to install octave on an iMac under LinuxPPC-1999 (R5) .  When
I run configure, I get the following error

configure: warning: I couldn't find -ltermcap, -lterminfo, -lncurses,
-lcurses, or -ltermlib!

and I know only that configure is looking for "tputs".  I can verify
that lib_tputs is in /usr/lib/libncurses.a, so why can't configure?  All
my gcc stuff and libraries are up to date.

(I also get
"configure: warning: I didn't find flex, but it's only a problem if you
need to reconstruct lex.cc"
which i don't care about, but I know that flex is there...  These two
errors are the only errors I get with configure.)

I am doing the install from /home/local/octave and use
--prefix=/home/local --exec-prefix=/home/local if that matters (can you
tell yet that I'm a newbie?).  I'd appreciate any help and would be
happy to reciprocate by helping make a binary available.

Ken