pow for real matrices

From: Koichi Hashimoto
Subject: pow for real matrices
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 07:11:56 +0900

Will someone tell me the algorithm in octave used to compute A^r,
where A is a real matrix with positive determinant and r is a real
value (not integer)?

Looking at xpow.cc I think it uses something like the following code:

[V, D]=eig(A);
Dr=D^r;
Ar=V*Dr/V;

and I think it is reasonable because if r=1/n then Ar^n=A.

Will you give me a theoretical background of this algorithm?  Also I
would like to know why Ar becomes a real matirix even if D contains
imaginary part.

Koichi Hashimoto
  Department of Systems Engineering,
  Okayama University