RE: [Fwd: Skyper : Fehler Report]

From: Ted Harding
Subject: RE: [Fwd: Skyper : Fehler Report]
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 01:48:29 +0100 (BST)

On 18-Jun-99 John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 18-Jun-1999, Joao Cardoso <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>| Whenever I post to the Octave mailing list I receive this e-mail. This
>| also happens to other people?
>
> Yes, probably.  Unfortunately, there is no address on the list that is
> obviously the one causing the problem.  I suspect that someone has set
> a forwarding address and that it is no longer working correctly, or
> the mailbox is full (sorry, my German is not so good).  So, I don't
> know which address to remove in order to fix the problem.  Also, the
> mailer at skyper.de is not sending the failure report back to the list
> owner (me) as I think it should be.
>
> I will try complaining to at skyper.de or detemobil.de and see
> if they can help fix the problem.
>
> jwe

The best of luck, John! (See below)

>| Date: 18 Jun 1999 19:40:44 -0000
>| To: address@hidden
>| From: address@hidden
>| Subject: Skyper : Fehler Report
>|

>| Skyper Mail Gateway - Fehler Report
>| -----------------------------------
>|
>| Ein Fehler bei der Verarbeitung Ihres Skyper-Aufrufes ist aufgetreten
>|
>| Pager number: 5829968
>| Message text: Re: liboctave library in stand-alone C++ program
>| Received at : Fri, 18 Jun 1999 20:36:49 +0100
>| Status 4: Die maximale Anzahl von Rufen fuer den Pager  wurde
>| ausgesendet

This looks like a forwarding to a paging service (i.e. whoever it is
gets a message on his pager or mobile phone that he has received email).

The German "Ein Fehler ..." means "An error has occurred in the operation
of your Skyper-Caller".

The German "Die maximale ... " means "the maximum number of calls for the
pager has been sent", i.e. his allowance has run out.

This message caused a lot of fuss on the SuSE-Linux list some time ago
(last July). It was eventually fixed, but I can't remember how. I think
it involved the SuSE-admins reconfiguring the list headers so that such
messages would go to the list-owner rather than the person posting the
message (something to so with "Reply-To and "Return-Address").

John -- if you like, I could try mailing the SuSE-admins to see if they
can remember how it was solved? As I rcall, they got no joy from Skyper.

Meanwhile: it's not worth anyone on the list making a fuss about getting
these messages!

Best wishes to all,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>