Octave and GSL interface

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Octave and GSL interface
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 14:35:52 -0500 (CDT)

On 18-Jun-1999, Thomas Walter <address@hidden> wrote:

| Hello,
| Is anybody out there interested in acessing some functions from GSL
| too?

Sure, why don't you post your code to the octave-sources mailing list?

| I have encoded and tested an interface to the random number generator
| part of GSL.  This part of GSL seems to be stable.  The use of the GSL
| default RNG -- it has a period ~2^19937 -- is much faster than the RNG
| used in the fortran library with period ~2^31.
|
| example using octave-2.0.14 as is:
| tic;r=rand(100000,1);toc      ==>     ans = 0.84215
|
| examples using octave-2.0.14 as is and GSL
| tic;r=rng_rand(100000,1);toc  ==>     ans = 0.16287

The tic and toc functions are not the best way to measure
performance because they measure wall-clock time.  Results can vary
dramatically if there are other processes running on the system.
It is generally much better to use the cputime function instead:

  t = cputime ();
  ... code to measure ...
  cputime - t

jwe