Re: Matlab File Format

From: David Doolin
Subject: Re: Matlab File Format
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 15:32:08 -0400

In message <address@hidden>, "Jack A Walker" wri
tes:

>You may be right but another possibility is that the various wordprocessor
>venders actually license their formats to the format filter producing
>companie(s).
>
>Jack

I am not sure why the public has bought into proprietary formats at all,
other than simple ignorance of alternative open formats.  The very idea
that file formats *are* proprietary seems outrageous.  When examined
from the aspect of who, exactly, owns the data, in point of practice
it is who owns the file format.  Rather like having the paper
company owning everything printed on paper.

In the case of matlab, I use when I have to, and use octave otherwise.
When I do use it, I save out in text formats rather than binary.
I am not sure I see the difference between using text output in
octave and using binary output in octave.  It's my data after all.
Note that I in no way encourage or condone using *actual matlab code*.
Furthermore, I will not even *read* matlab m-files because when
I need similar functionality, I do not care to be subject possible
copyright infringments.  For the case where TMW has used published
algorithms, I am sure that octave code will appear very similar
to matlab anyway.  I would presume TMW understands this point.

To use an old clich\'e, the best defense is often a good offense.
As in pushing for legislation *requiring* full file format
specification to protect consumers.  The alternative is UCITA,
which as I understand, would effectively criminalize reverse
engineering.  (UCITA might also spawn a consumer backlash.)

Whatever the actual point of law
reads w.r.t. reverse engineering matlab binary data output,
it *ought* to be legal if the data is *not* owned by TMW.
Laws change all the time (usually to the detriment of the
consumer), so the issue may end up decided in court after the
legislatures finish mangling it.

Thanks for reading through.

Dave D