Contour Plots? Delaunay Triangulations?

From: John Smith
Subject: Contour Plots? Delaunay Triangulations?
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 21:11:31 +0100 (BST)

I will have some data collected at regular (r,theta) values on a
polar grid. It might not be complete, or completely regular.

I want to draw a contour map, preferably with layers of solid colours.
Grudgingly, I have had to admit that this is possible in Matlab. Is there
good Octave - or other free code - method?

The Matlab approach involves building a Delaunay triangulation over the
points, interpolating from the triangulation onto a regular
xy grid, and finally contouring the regular grid.

The Voronoi/Delaunay triangulation algorithms are good candidates
for inclusion within Octave - I think suitable C coded raw algorithms
exist. Has anyone built ".oct" implementations?

And are there any good ideas for drawing the contours? Gnuplot is a bit
limitted.

Thanks,

John Smith