Re: Save a plot to .ps

From: Daniel Heiserer
Subject: Re: Save a plot to .ps
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 09:07:43 +0200

> | What we would need for compatibility is a new function sceme matlab has:
> |
> | "print arg1 arg2 arg3 ....."
> |
> | Now is available:
> | "print(arg1,arg2,arg3)"
> |
> | Could somebody, who know more than me do that?
> |
> | What do you think?
>
> Sorry, I can't add this function to Octave because it assumes that the
> graphics terminal type is X, and if it is not, it switches the
> graphics terminal to X unconditionally.  For me, that's unacceptable
> behavior.

That is not what I meant. Printing could still be done by an m-file
which comes/comes-not whith octave.

Can I find out which terminal gnuplot is using?
If yes, that would be really easy.

The key thing is the parser line

function a b c

should be the same as

function('a','b','c')

Which means that I can call a function with some arguments in two ways.
-bracket-style
-shell style

Matlab has that feature in 5.3. As far as I can see this kind
is not used in octave right now, so it doesn't lead to incompatibility.

The key thing is that it is NOT possible to pass variables in the
shell-style.
All arguments are taken as strings.

See "load/save ...etc".
It is only a more general way of doing

load myfilename
AND
load('myfilename')

That is what I meant you could add.
Would be nice to have. ;-)

> | Ones that is done, I think we would have a 99.9% braindead solution
> | soon. ;-)
>
> For some, this is not really a goal.
I don't think that sould be a goal. But octave is so general
and cool that it shouldn't be a problem offering a braindead solution.

> jwe

daniel