Re: IRIX octave 2.0.14 can't find runtime libs

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: IRIX octave 2.0.14 can't find runtime libs
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 23:34:22 -0500 (CDT)

On 17-May-1999, Thomas Walter <address@hidden> wrote:

| [snip]
|
|     John> Eventually, Octave's configure script and Makefiles should be fixed
|     John> use libtool, which should help to make these things work better.
|     John> Unfortunately, I have little time to spend working on that project.
|     John> Any volunteers?
|
| To do this I think it is best to use 'automake' too.  Writing the
| dependencies into the files 'Makefile.am' is much easier because they
| are much shorter then `Makefile.in' files..  After that
| calling 'automake' will build all the 'Makefile.in'.  And 'automake'
| knows how to use 'libtool'.  There will be no need write rules to call
| 'libtool' by hand.
|
| What are the opinions about that?  I have used automake and libtool
| for a long time and I would help to do the step.

Sure, converting Octave to use both automake and libtool would
probably be good things to do.  I don't have the time, but I'd be
willing to integrate patches if they can support all of the features
of the current Octave Makefiles.  If you want to do it, please work
with the 2.1.x sources.  I'm not interested in changing the 2.0.x
Makefiles at this point.

Thanks,

jwe