IRIX octave 2.0.14 can't find runtime libs

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: IRIX octave 2.0.14 can't find runtime libs
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 02:16:29 -0500 (CDT)

On 10-May-1999, Himanshu Gohel <address@hidden> wrote:

| Hi,
|
| I compiled and installed v2.0.14 with the --enable-shared option.
| When I try to run the octave binary, i get an error:
|
| 330 Bezier[matlab] octave
| 134477:octave: rld: Fatal Error: Cannot Successfully map soname
| 'liboctinterp.so' under any of the filenames
| /usr/lib32/liboctinterp.so:/usr/lib32/internal/liboctinterp.so:/lib32/liboct
| interp.so:/opt/lib32/liboctinterp.so:
|
| The libraries are in /usr/local/lib/octave.  I prefer not to use
| the LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  How can I specify the during the build to
| use "-rpath /usr/local/lib/octave" recursively?

Hmm.  If you specify --enable-shared, Octave's configure script should
attempt to use -rpath.  But I see that on SGI systems, it sets
RLD_FLAG to be -L$(octlibdir).  If it should be something else, run
the make command like this:

  make RLD_FLAG='-Xlinker -rpath -Xlinker $(octlibdir)'

Eventually, Octave's configure script and Makefiles should be fixed to
use libtool, which should help to make these things work better.
Unfortunately, I have little time to spend working on that project.
Any volunteers?

Thanks,

jwe