Octave looping slowing down

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Octave looping slowing down
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 20:46:45 +0100 (BST)

I'm running a double loop:

  for i=1:3000,  for j=1:150, <stuff>; endfor, endfor

where <stuff> includes a call to a fairly straightforward function.

I'm tracking progress by showing the current value of i to screen.

When this loop started up, each step on i was taking about 1 sec.

Now, with i about 350 (therefore a long way to go) it is taking about
30 sec for each step on i, and seems to be getting even slower.

There's nothing to make the calculation more complex as the stages
proceed, so I'm wondering why this is happening. It looks as though I may
have to stop it, and try to find some other way.

Octave, version 2.0.13 (i586-pc-linux-gnulibc1).

Any comments, anyone?
With thanks,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>