Re: operation x=x(:)

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: operation x=x(:)
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 16:58:20 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 5 May 1999, John W. Eaton wrote:

> On  5-May-1999, Wonkoo Kim <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> | However, x = x(:) does not convert a row vector to a column vector
> | (Octave 2.0.13 for OS/2).  Though I don't mind this, but the
> | original poster would, as this is a different behavior from Matlab.
>
> <snip>
> Perhaps this could be `fixed' for 2.1.x so that it always does the
> Matlab-compatible thing.  Does anyone have a strong opinion either
> way?

I think the default behavior of Octave functions should always be MATLAB
compatible unless there is something obviously wrong with what MATLAB is
doing.

In this case, the x=x(:) always returns a column vector in MATLAB, but in
Octave it does so almost always with the exception occuring when x is
initially a row vector.  I don't see the need for the exception and I vote
that the default behavior be like that of MATLAB.

Regards,

Mike

--
Michael B. Miller