Suggest to add more math functions like 'cbrt'

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Suggest to add more math functions like 'cbrt'
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 12:46:19 -0600 (CST)

On 30-Mar-1999, Thomas Walter <address@hidden> wrote:

| excuse me if this is not the correct list to do suggestions.
| It is not clear to me to send them here or in 'octave-sources'.

The octave-sources mailing list is for posting source code.  So, it is
the appropriate place if your suggestion also includes the code to
implement it.

| I want to suggest to add more function interfaces to 'octave'.
| Like some other basic math functions -- f.e. 'sqrt' -- these functions
| are part of the most math libraries of a C/C++ compiler.

| 1) 'cbrt'
|    advantage:  the cube root is then calculated fast.
|
| 2) 'hypot'
|    advantage: calculates 'sqrt(a^2+b^2)' with respect to overflow

If these functions are not available on every system, can you also
provide replacements for them when they are not available in a system
library?

It is not hard to add `mapper' functions that accept one arg.  If you
look at the files src/mappers.cc and src/mappers.h, it should be sort
of obvious.  Two or more argument mapper functions (like atan2 or the
bessel functions) are currently handled as special cases.

jwe