Re: Re: is octave compatible with matlab 5.2?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Re: is octave compatible with matlab 5.2?
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 16:06:40 -0600 (CST)

On 23-Mar-1999, Jonathan King <address@hidden> wrote:

| Interesting.  Well, it's easy enough to implement car, cdr, and
| append (I just did it...).

There is already an append function (at least in my sources).  I don't
have car or cdr though.

  octave:3> help append
  append is a builtin function

  append (LIST, ARG, ...)

  Return a new list created by appending each ARG to LIST.  If any of
  the arguments to be appended is a list, its elements are appended
  individually.  For example,

    x = list (1, 2);
    y = list (3, 4);
    append (x, y);

  results in the list containing the four elements (1 2 3 4), not a list
  containing the three elements (1 2 (3 4))

|  But is there a function that returns
| "true" for a list?  (I couldn't find it, but I'm a little hopeful
| that one exists, somewhere...)

Do you mean something like:

  octave:1> is_list

  *** is_list:

  is_list (x): return nonzero if x is a list

jwe