Solaris 2.5, libF77.so.3 problems

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Solaris 2.5, libF77.so.3 problems
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 23:37:57 -0600 (CST)

On 10-Mar-1999, Jalaluddin Abdullah <address@hidden> wrote:

| I did a merged build of gcc with libstdc++, used bash, did the install
| of the Octave 2.0.13 binary distribution for solaris2.5 on a
| SparcStation 20 and, referring to
| http://www.che.wisc.edu/octave/mailing-lists/help-octave/1999/223, I
| have the same problem, but in addition there does not appear to be a
| copy of libF77.so.3 anywhere on my hard disk.
|
| Is this file normally generated during Octave installation, or is it
| part of Sun's FORTRAN distribution?

The libF77 shared library is assumed to be on the system.  I believe
the Fortran parts of the binary distribution of Octave that you have
were compiled with the Sun Fortran compiler.  I was under the
impression that the Fortran run-time libraries would be available even
if you did not purchase the Fortran compiler.  If that's not the case,
then we will have to change the way that binaries are linked.  For
those systems where the Fortran run-time library is not available as a
standard part of the operating system, I think Octave binaries made for
distribution will have to be compiled using g77 or f2c for the Fortran
bits.  Then we can distribute the corresponding Fortran run-time
functions along with (or along side) the Octave binaries.

If you don't have access to the Fortran run-time library, your other
option at this point is to build Octave from source using g77 or f2c
as the Fortran compiler, or find someone who can do it for you.

jwe