C++ level interface to octave?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: C++ level interface to octave?
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 02:41:14 -0600 (CST)

On  1-Feb-1999, Michael J. Krasnicki <address@hidden> wrote:

| I'm looking for a C++ class that would allow me embed an octave interpreter
| in another C++ program with the ability to exchange data between the C++
| program and the octave interpreter.
|
| Essentially I would like to have to ability to:
|    1) manipulate the interpreter's global variable list from a C++ API
|    2) pre-parse .m files into octave's tree_expression(s)
|    3) run pre-parsed tree_expressions
|
| I realize that one could easily cook this sort of thing with the use of named
| pipes and a separate octave process running in the background. But, I'm
| interested in writing a tool that would execute the same user provided octave
| script (on different data) over 100,000 times. So, I want to make it as fast
| as possible.
|
| Does such a C++ library exist? Is anyone working on it?

Almost all the code in Octave is already inside a library.  The only
code that is not is the file octave.cc.  So, if you want to create a
special purpose version of octave.cc, I suppose you can.  Just
remember that all the code distributed with Octave is GPL'd.  Will
your application be freely redistributable under terms that are
compabitible with the GPL?

jwe