Re: speeding up Octave development (was: Re: m-code)

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: speeding up Octave development (was: Re: m-code)
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 16:49:34 -0600 (CST)

On  5-Mar-1999, Jonathan King <address@hidden> wrote:

| It struck me recently that Octave doesn't get *nearly* the press it
| deserves in the free software world.  At the Linux World Expo last
| week, Slashdot reported that the "show favorite" in the category of
| Science and Engineering was...

As I mentioned in an earlier message, the help-octave mailing list now
has about 350 subscribers.  Would anyone like to sponsor a call for
votes on forming a new Usenet newsgroup for Octave?  That might make
Octave a bit more visible.

As for the group name, I suppose comp.soft-sys.math.octave would be
appropriate since scilab and mathematica are in the same category (I
don't know how the MathWorks got away with comp.soft-sys.matlab
instead of math.matlab).  In any case, we could probably set it up so
that messages sent to the help-octave mailing list are sent to the
usenet group.  I don't know about the reverse direction though.

Is anyone interested in pursuing this?  I don't have time to do it
myself.

jwe