Re: Optimisation functions missing?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Optimisation functions missing?
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 02:43:26 -0600 (CST)

On  5-Mar-1999, Michael Hanke <address@hidden> wrote:

| It might be of help to have a look at
| http://plato.la.asu.edu/guide.html
| and related sides. H.D. Mittelmann does also a lot on benchmarking.

Last I looked, this list was about the same as the one that someone
mentioned yesterday.  I think all of the code for constrained
nonlinear optimization that is listed is not available under terms
that are compatible with the GPL.  If I'm wrong, can you point out a
specific subroutine for sovling constraing NLPs that could be linked
with Octave?  It would also help if it did not have to be modified a
great deal to make it work with Octave (i.e., no fixed limits on
problem size, no assumption about input file formats, etc.).

We have reasonably good freely available software for linear algebra,
ODEs and DAEs.  Why does the world of optimization software seem to be
so different?

jwe