Re: Optimisation functions missing? (fwd)

From: Eric Ortega
Subject: Re: Optimisation functions missing? (fwd)
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 17:23:22 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, Jonathan King wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, heberf wrote:
>
> > Your friends comments were interesting and (I think) correct.
> > It all comes down to the following: there is no easy answer the
> > question "What is the best optimization method".
>
> Actually, I thought it all came down to the question "Who is going
> to contact the people Irina mentioned, especially since one or the
> other of them might have well-informed opinions and *possibly* even
> some code they'd be willing to share." :-)
>
> jking

I studied Applied Mathematics at UCSD and took a few undergraduate classes
with Dr. Gill.  Not surprisingly they were in nonlinear and linear
optimization.  If anyone wanted to contact him I'm sure that he would
appreciate it being filtered through someone he already knew.

I have no concerns about getting back in touch with him, especially for
something obviously right up his alley such as this.

Side note #1:
I, personally, haven't been following up on these studies, though, and
haven't been able to put many of the things I've learned into practice
since taking those courses.

Side note #2:
I may already have some old Matlab code laying around (some from his
classes, some from Dr. Bunch's) which could provide a base for us to work
off of.  It's probably fairly streamlined (read specific) since I mostly
wrote it for class assignments ... generally the night before.  I'll poke
around in my archives and see what I've got.  I'm on campus (UPENN) now,
though, and since I'm now in Philadelphia, I can't seem to get a permanent
(reasonably priced) home internet connection to save my soul.  In other
words, ya'all gotta wait 'til I get home.

                                                eo