Re: Need a clue about compile failure in 2.1.13

From: Joao Cardoso
Subject: Re: Need a clue about compile failure in 2.1.13
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 01:11:53 +0000

Thomas Walter wrote:

>     Joao> Also, try: title("#gS#u5#d#b#dn=1#u"); plot(sin(1:10))
>
> Hmm:
>         title("#gS#u5#d#b#dn=1#u"); plot(sin(1:10))
> gives a small window with a nice title and the plot.

small window? what do you mean? not a X plplot window?!

> And
>    global pldevice = "xwin";
>    plsdev (pldevice);
>    plinit;
>    plmtex ("t", 1.0, 0.5, 0.5, "#gS#u5#d#b#dn=1#u"); plot(sin(1:10))
>    plend
> gives it on a X11 window.

Do you have the PLplot directory in your LOADPATH *before* the standard
one? Also, if you have already use plot commands before setting
LOADPATH, than octave may remember and use then; either `rehash' or
`clear'. Also (too many ifs) some plot commands that do take action only
at the next plot, such as title, xlabel, etc, do not initialize
plplot_octave. The best is start with a straight plot.

Another word of caution: as the plplot_octave scripts share information
in global variables (in a structure named `__pl') if you issue a generic
`clear' you are in trouble...

> Doing this I recognized the X-window does not remeber its contents.
> Part of the grafic is lost if some parts of the window are in the
> background and one puts the window after plotting into the foreground.

This is a know plplot xwin driver problem. You must issue `plreplot' to
refresh the window. But plreplot does *not* do the same thing as gnuplot
replot. In XFree86-3.3.1 (and perhaps previous version) if you start the
xserver with the `-wm' option, than it will save the obscured window
(but I found my xserver wasting 60Mbytes of memory!). Also, with the
afterstep (and possibly others) wm, there is an option for doing the
same thing, `AppsBackingStore'.

> OK!  Can you meil me the name of the plplot list please, thanks.

Not a single message in the previous weeks :-(
<address@hidden>

> I looked at the sources of 'octave-2.1.13' the file 'ov.h'.  It does

No time yet to check this.

Another subject: the directory installation of plplot can be specified
at configure time: use `--prefix=/usr/local' with `configure'. However,
same stray directories will appear: /usr/local/tcl examples and doc. The
examples and doc directories can de deleted, but not the tcl one.

> Regards
> Thomas

Thanks,
Joao
--
Joao Cardoso, INESC  |  e-mail:  address@hidden
R. Jose Falcao 110   |  tel:    + 351 2 2094345