Re: Looking for a program

From: Stefano Ghirlanda
Subject: Re: Looking for a program
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 13:34:36 +0000 (/etc/localtime)

Hi Joao and everyone,

> Stefano Ghirlanda wrote:
> >
> > Hi Matthew,
> >
> > > I lean against TCL, TK, JX, or others because their future desktop
> > > integration is questionable.
> > >
> > > Any thoughts?
>
> Are you concerned with the distribution licence? JX is not GPL.

Gasp! The mail that I thought included a discussion about JX not being
GPL'd, but I simply forgot to write that!
What I forgot to write is exactly that the JX license is the only obstacle
I see to its spread. To be honest, the license is not closed at all:
non-commercial distribution is unrestricted, source code is
available and patches can be distributed (although separately). Commercial
agreements must be negotiated.

On the other hand, the author of JX states that he is "slowly evolving the
license to be open source", see:
http://www.its.caltech.edu/~jafl/misc/bazaar_fizzle_fail.html

and this is what I hope will happen...
All the best,
Stefano

 Stefano Ghirlanda, Zoologiska Institutionen, Stockholms Universitet
    Office: D554, Arrheniusv. 14, S-106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46 8 164055, Fax: +46 8 167715, Email: address@hidden
   Support Free Science, look at: http://rerumnatura.zool.su.se