Re: Compiling Octave on Solaris 7

From: Rick
Subject: Re: Compiling Octave on Solaris 7
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 99 11:10:40 -0500

> Has anyone managed to compile Octave 2-0-13 on x86 Solaris 7? I am using gcc,
 c++, g77 2.7.2.3.f.1 and libstdc++ 2.7.2 and I am configureing with both / eit
her of -enable-dl and -with-g77.
>  I am having the following problems:
>
> NONE of the FORTRAN files in libcruft are being compiled despite configure ac
cepting that g77 is OK.

> The mkoctfile script has no link libraries in it and so I can't link hello.cc
 or the orgenator.cc in the examples dir.

> Does nayone have any ideas how I can overcome these problems,

There's a known bug in GNU make-3.77 with Solaris.  Either try
make 3.76.1 or ...

  > You can either:
  >
  >  1) Run the make you built on Solaris 2.5 or 2.5.1, on 2.6; this will
  >     work fine but you won't get large file support (not a major issue
  >     for most people, I'm sure).
  >
  >  2) After building a (broken) make on Solaris 2.6, do the following:
  >
  >       $ rm -f glob/*.o
  >       $ make CFLAGS='-g -O2 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64'
  >
  >     You can adjust the -g and -O2 options to taste.  The resulting make
  >     executable will work correctly on Solaris 2.6.

I don't know if this is your problem or not, but perhaps it could help.

        Rick Niles.