Re: Problems installing under Windows 95

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Problems installing under Windows 95
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 22:35:48 -0600 (CST)

On 27-Jan-1999, Dave Borger <address@hidden> wrote:

| Because of the installation problems previously mentioned, I thought
| maybe I should re-run the installation now that I had the proper
| FIND.  Now both 'sh ./install-octave' and 'bash ./install-octave'
| report that CAT.EXE is not found, despite the fact that it is on a
| directory in my path.  Now, as you may know, the default path used
| by the Cygnus USERTOOLs installation is rather long and I could have
| easily mistyped in when I added it to my PATH.  However, from the
| directory from which I am trying to install Octave I can type 'cat
| install-octave' and, sure enough, the contents of the file are
| listed out.

Something seems to be wrong with your setup if cat is not found.  I'm
sorry, but I have no idea how to fix this for you.

| In your response below you as if I have bash installed 'as /bin/sh.'
| I'm unsure what you mean by that.  I have bash on the same path as
| cat and if I type 'bash' from any directory it returns the bash
| prompt.  (Again, forgive my ignorance, but what is the relationship
| of bash and sh?)

The shell scripts distributed with Octave expect to find a Unix shell
in /bin.  Bash will work for that.  You need to create a directory
called c:\bin and put a copy of bash there, but it must be named
sh.exe.

| On the matter of the C/D directory, it seems that your solution
| still requires that the installation be physically on the C drive
| which, due to space, is what I am trying to avoid.

No.  If you do this:

  mkdir /d_drive
  mount d: /d_drive

then /d_drive should actually point to the d: drive and /d_drive/foo
should be equivalent to d:\foo.

jwe