Re: tmp file problem +gnuplot

From: Daniel Heiserer
Subject: Re: tmp file problem +gnuplot
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 09:11:20 +0100

John W. Eaton wrote:

> On 26-Jan-1999, David Nicholson <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> | My octave programs rapidly fill
> | up /var/tmp on my Unix machine whenever
> | they execute.
> | Anyone know if/how I can solve this ?
>
>  - Function File:  purge_tmp_files
>      Delete the temporary files created by the plotting commands.
>
>      Octave creates temporary data files for `gnuplot' and then sends
>      commands to `gnuplot' through a pipe.  Octave will delete the
>      temporary files on exit, but if you are doing a lot of plotting
>      you may want to clean up in the middle of a session.
>
>      A future version of Octave will eliminate the need to use temporary
>      files to hold the plot data.
>
> The reason Octave can't delete the files automatically is that it
> cannot know when gnuplot is finished with them.

Well octave doesn't know, but gnuplot should know. Using gnuplots '!'
they could be deleted or?
What will be the new gnuplot's benefit for octave?
Has anybody experience with xmgr?
What about more interactivity for plotting?
Assume I want to click on a curve (object) and want to have a pull-down
menu
making it possible to change it's properties (color/marker or delete it
without
running a complete replot (it's not nice if you have 5 curves on the
plot)).
What about picking the labels and modifying them?
Or zooming (assume you want to mark a box with the mouse to zoom in)?
Can that be done with new gnuplot?

Bye daniel