Re: step?

From: A. Scottedward Hodel
Subject: Re: step?
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 08:31:25 -0600

Rewriting a toolbox IS a big job; the Octave controls toolbox is currently at
about 15,000 lines (not counting the out-of-date .oct file sources).

It is sometimes not desirable
to emulate MATLAB perfectly.  For example, my initial draft of the  Octave
toolbox (about 1994-1995) emulated the interface of the MATLAB v4.0 controls
toolbox, which was terrible.  Because one could pass systems as either
transfer functions (two vectors), pole-zero-leadining coefficient (two
vectors and a scalar), or state space form (a matrix, two vectors, and
a scalar), the ambiguity introduced by having other optional parameters
to toolbox function resulted in the code for the bode plot function being
60% trying to figure out what parameters were passed, and the rest of
the code was to do the actual computations and plotting (lousy software
organization).  Furthermore, user error in typing the parameter
list was a frequent event in testing our code (lousy user interface).

In the 1996-present version of the toolbox, the interfaces were rewritten to
use a single data structure to store system descriptions (see conference
paper referenced below; also discussed in control.texi).  A year later, the
Matlab 5.0 controls toolbox took a similar approach.  I'm not saying that they
got the idea from me; the point is that writing a toolbox means thinking
carefully about usability and software maintainability, especially given
the size of Octave/OCST.  The MathWorks is obviously paying attention to
these issues too or they'd have left the controls toolbox as it was.

@inproceedings{hodtenetal96,
   author    = {A. S. Hodel and R. B. Tenison and D. A. Clem and J. E. Ingram},
   title     = {The Octave Control Systems Toolbox: A ${\rm MATLAB^{tm}}$-like
{CACSD} En
vironment},
   booktitle = {Proceedings of the 1996 {IEEE} International Symposium on
Computer-Aided
Control System Design},
   pages     = {386--391},
   year      = {1996},
   month     = {Sept. 15-18},
   publisher = {{IEEE} Control Systems Society},
   address   = {Dearborn, Mich.}
}

A S Hodel Assoc. Prof. Dept Elect Eng, Auburn Univ,AL  36849-5201
On leave at NASA Marshall Space Flight Center (256) 544-1426
Address until 15 Mar 2000:Mail Code ED-13, MSFC, Alabama, 35812
http://www.eng.auburn.edu/~scotte