Re: working with cygwin B20 - can't get less to work

From: Mumit Khan
Subject: Re: working with cygwin B20 - can't get less to work
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 09:37:41 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 25 Nov 1998, Ken Laberteaux wrote:

> I am trying to set up Octave under cygwin b20.  Anyone else have this
> set up yet?
>
> I downloaded a less package, less-gnu-win32.tar.gz, from the Octave
> site,
> ftp://ftp.che.wisc.edu/pub/octave/BINARIES/gnu-win32

Octave-2.0.13 + patches to make it work with egcs-1.1.x (see octave-bugs
mailing list or egcs FAQ at http://egcs.cygnus.com) builds out of the
box on Cygwin-b20.

I always use Octave as a testsuite, so built the binary a while back.
You can pick up *just* the octave binary for cygwin-b20 from:L

  ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/cygwin/ports/

No guarantees that it'll even run.

> I gunziped and untarred the binaries and put them in my /usr/bin
> directory.  When I type less, I get an error:
>
> "The dynamic link library cywinb19.dll could not be found in the
> specified path."

Cygwin B20 comes with less, so you can discard the one that comes
with Octave. And, you'll need to recompile pipe-gnuplot or whatever
it's called.

fyi, the following hack has worked with lots of people: copy the
cygwin1.dll that comes with Cygwin b20 to cygwinb19.dll in the
same directory.

Regards,
Mumit