host unknown

From: Huaiyu Zhu
Subject: host unknown
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 17:59:49 -0800 (PST)

While installing octave on a machine with Celeron cpu, ./configure aborts
with "Host name unknown, you must specify one".

uname -a => i686
$HOSTTYPE => i386

Is this the problem?

I've installed the same octave-2.0.13 on other machines, same Linux
distribution (RH5.2) without problem.  In those cases
uname -a => i586
$HOSTTYPE => i386

Are there real differences for octave to run on these machines or are they
just convenient name tags?  Where should I specify?  It's not in INSTALL.

--
Huaiyu Zhu                      Tel: 208 885 2928
Division of Statistics          Fax: 208 885 2929